NOTE, BOBBYSIX HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT OUR NEW SITE INSTEAD, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SO MUCH AWESOME CONTENT THAT YOUR EYES WON'T KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FIRST: SOMETHINGYOUSAID.COM

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Lou Reed at The State Theatre

What a night. My heart actually went a little bit funny on two occasions during this gig. It was weird. I have been to better gigs. I have been to gigs that have meant more to me than this one. But there were a couple of moments during this one that I will never forget. When the man himself stepped onto stage and opened his mouth to let out that weird vocal for the first time, I wasn't quite prepared for it. My heart skipped, jumped and lurched for a second. On this opening night, he played the whole of Berlin from start to finish, while my ragbag bunch of new and old friends and I stood at the back (our tickets were 'standing room only'), hideously tired but feeling that our night slumming it (see previous blog) was completely worth it. Especially as my ticket was only $25.

Anyway, if the Berlin part of the night was great, then the encore was amazing. Me and my gang literally ran from the back of the theatre to the front, and found ourselves just a few feet away from the craggy old legend. It was pretty emtional. There were tears, not least during Sweet Jane (see photo below). The second moment of the gig that will live with me forever was when Anthony (as in 'and The Johnsons') sang. I couldn't help feeling that he had been criminally underused during the main section of the night, so when he was allowed to take on some of the main vocal work during the encore, it was an absolute joy. If anyone has a more amazing voice then I have yet to hear it. Just like it did the last time I saw him perfrom, the sound that he expelled made me shiver with excitement. Jaw-dropping. He is a wonderful freak of nature, and a treasure to behold.

And that was it. People left the venue beaming. Holly described it as the greatest experience of her life. An equally tearful Kirsty was lucky enough to get the plectrum that Reed used during the gig. Millie, well, she was still crying with joy in the street afterwards. For me, it was the culmination of one of the most memorable 24-hours of my life.

Now, to bed.

No comments: