NOTE, BOBBYSIX HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT OUR NEW SITE INSTEAD, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SO MUCH AWESOME CONTENT THAT YOUR EYES WON'T KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FIRST: SOMETHINGYOUSAID.COM

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Bridezilla at The Enmore Theatre

Last night I went to The Enmore Theatre to see Bridezilla, Little Birdy and Eskimo Joe:Arriving at the wonderful Enmore Theatre early, I caught Bridezilla’s soundcheck and knew that their performance was going to be something special. As you will be aware if you read my blog with any level of regularity, I have witnessed this teenage quintet play a number of times, yet this is the first time I have seen them peform at a venue with such impressive acoustics. When vocalist Holiday (above) first opened her lungs into the mic it actually took my breath away, as her powerful voice positively soared through the room.

At the ridiculously early time of 7.35, they took to the stage in front of an unfamiliar audience which grew in size and appreciation as the clock ticked on. Here was a band that I have watched gain stature and confidence over the past few months, playing in the type of venue that they truly belong, and it was a joy to hear their songs sounding so wonderfully grand and clean, rather than being mauled by the tin-pot PA’s that they have become accustomed to.

Their set was typically strong, even though the moribund lighting did nothing to enhance it, and the fact that some ridiculously officious timekeeping meant they were hauled off stage before they could end with their set-closing romp, Saint Francine, was very disappointing. But, regardless, this was a big moment for the ever-ascending star that is Bridezilla (below).Ever the music lover, I missed the entire Little Birdy set because I was eating dinner, but I have to admit I feel bad for having slightly badmouthed frontwoman Katie Steele in previous reviews, as, from my brief experience of her last night, she seems to be the nicest person in the world, ever.

So then it came to the moment that everyone in the room except me had been waiting for: the arrival of Eskimo Joe. Reluctantly watching them from the back of the room, it took just a few seconds for me to have my suspicions confirmed that they are a pompous, overblown, bloated corpse of a band. While the rest of the crowd went crazy, I left after two songs.

No comments: