NOTE, BOBBYSIX HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT OUR NEW SITE INSTEAD, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SO MUCH AWESOME CONTENT THAT YOUR EYES WON'T KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FIRST: SOMETHINGYOUSAID.COM

Saturday, January 03, 2009

2008 end of year review

I’ve always loved a good list. Here is my best and worst of 2008 (please feel free to leave your own lists in the comments section):TOP 10 ALBUMS
1. The Felice Brothers THE FELICE BROTHERS (above)
2. Fantasy Black Channel LATE OF THE PIER
3. Alas, I Cannot Swim LAURA MARLING
4. Dog House Music SEASICK STEVE
5. Kitty, Daisy & Lewis KITTY, DAISY & LEWIS
6. Twenty One MYSTERY JETS
7. Alphabutt KIMYA DAWSON
8. Sixes & Sevens ADAM GREEN
9. Only By The Night KINGS OF LEON
10. Sunday At Devil Dirt ISOBEL CAMPBELL AND MARK LANEGAN

TOP 5 SINGLES
1. I’m Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You BLACK KIDS
2. Sex On Fire KINGS OF LEON
3. Paris Is Burning LADYHAWKE
4. Young Love MYSTERY JETS
5. American Boy ESTELLE

TOP 5 ARTISTS
1. Kimya Dawson
2. Angus & Julia Stone (read my bio of them here)
3. Ladyhawke (above)
4. Laura Marling
5. Late Of The Pier

TOP 10 GIGS
1. Kimya Dawson, Manning Bar
2. Arcade Fire, Big Day Out
3. Angus & Julia Stone, Enmore Theatre
4. Adam Green, Oxford Art Factory
5. Bridezilla, Annandale Hotel
6. SoKo, Oxford Art Factory
7. Rage Against The Machine, Big Day Out (below)
8. Cassette Kids, Oxford Art Factory
9. Cat Power, Enmore Theatre
10. Kate Nash, Oxford Art Factory
TOP 3 RADIO SHOWS
1. Mark Kermode’s Film Reviews, BBC Radio Five Live
2. Ricky Gervais podcast
3. BBC Radio Five Live football podcast

TOP 5 ONLINE DESTINATIONS
1. Youtube
2. Surf The Channel
3. Owl and the Grapes
4. Facebook
5. Myspace

THE EMPEROR'S NEW CLOTHES AWARD (MOST OVER-HYPED)
Australian TV show Underbelly about Melbourne gangsters. It was based on truth but played out like a high-school production of The Sopranos. Everyone went mad for it though. “OMG, have you seen Underbelly?” they would enthuse. “Yes,” I would respond. “But I wish I hadn’t because it’s shit.”

HIGHLIGHT(S) OF THE YEAR
Well, the sky-blue leather jacket (above) I picked up in Vinnies for $10 was a pretty seminal moment in my year but, in terms of worldwide ramifications, I suppose it comes a close second to Obama’s victory.

QUOTES OF THE YEAR
“Sorry.”
"I try really hard actually." Michael Cera speaks for all indie boys when Juno tells him he's cool without even having to try.

TOP FILMS
1. Juno
2. Young At Heart
3. No Country For Old Men
4. The Dark Knight

WHAT’S THE MOST RIDICULOUS THING SOMEONE WILL BLAME ON THE ECONOMIC DOWNTURN DURING 2009?
The titanic flop that will be Jet’s third album.

PREDICTIONS FOR 2009
The Smiths to reform.

2008 IN REVIEW
It’s been an interesting year over here in Sydney. The world went into financial meltdown, Sydney brimmed with nuns for World Youth Day, everyone (deservedly) went crazy for a little film about a pregnant teenager, the NSW Government imploded and America surprisingly got it right with its Presidential election.
Musically, a look at my top ten suggests many of the big-hitters failed to perform this year, but, more positively, lots of up-and-coming Sydney acts – including Ghostwood, Mercy Arms and Angus & Julia Stone – have represented Australia well overseas. A big disappointment was the cancellation of The Great Escape Festival. This is a wonderful event, so if it returns next year, buy your tickets early to avoid the same thing happening.

Interviewing my old mate Kimya (above) was a lovely moment for me, as was interviewing another couple of heroes of mine, Adam Green and Albert Hammond, Jr. Seeing Kimya play twice in one day was great, and watching two of my dearest friends fill the Enmore two nights running made me brim with pride.

Anyway, Happy New Year. I hope the credit crunch doesn’t hit you too harshly in 2009. I doubt it will affect me, as I never had any money in the first place.

No comments: