NOTE, BOBBYSIX HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT OUR NEW SITE INSTEAD, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SO MUCH AWESOME CONTENT THAT YOUR EYES WON'T KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FIRST: SOMETHINGYOUSAID.COM

Monday, June 21, 2010

Getting to know... Marf Loth

Sydney-based musician/novelist/poet/reviewer/dishwasher and all round nice chap Marf Loth - Nathan to his friends - shares some things about himself with Bobbysix.com:

I would describe my sound as a mixture of recycled sounds that I subconsciously use and will not be aware of until someone hears it and tells me. Thus - crushing my creative spirits and will to continue. But at times there have been some moments of country, garage, folk, rock and spazz jazz. All the albums have been really inconsistent and jumbled so far. I think I'll stick to something from now on. Which is going to be Paul Kelly/Bats-esque mumbled summer rock with Dennis Wilson arrangements. The likelihood of achieving that sound however, is very unlikely.

I take inspiration from lots of music, books, films - mainly obscure solo artists like Kevin Ayers, Robert Wyatt, John Cale, Brian Eno, Frank Zappa and Alex Chilton. Inspiration mostly comes from my friends (who make music or art) - or food, drinks, and places i have been. I listen to a lot of Australian music these days, its good to remain patriotic about your own culture. Plus it gives you hope that you might be able hold up some kind of career minus all the intimidating international competition.

Music makes me jump up and down like a madman for a little while. Then cry underneath a wooden table with a bottle of wine. Wait, actually, no, it doesn't make me feel like that at all. Music makes me want to make other music. Or maybe not that either. I don't know. Its just there, like a plank of wood.

If I could only listen to three albums for the rest of my life, they would be:
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
Silver Jews - American Water
Big Star - Third/Sisters Lovers

I wish I had written Supper's Ready by Genesis. It's one of their twenty-minute epics. I haven't listened to it for about three years or so - but i still know every lyric.

Aside from music, I sometimes write books, mostly poorly edited short stories and sorry excuses for poetry. I've self published three so far, and the novel A Study Of Solitude should be out in the next few months - hopefully. Other than that, I work odd jobs around Sydney, mostly as a dishwasher. Sometimes write reviews for music publications so i can get into concerts for free.

Check out Marf Loth on his myspace page. While you're there, you should also wrap your ears around his rather marvellous recordings. Contact details for how to purchase his CDs are there too.

1 comment:

Bobby Six said...

If you are a musician, artist, writer, photographer, model, space-explorer etc, and would like to be featured on Six Things About... then drop me a line. Contact details on the main page.