NOTE, BOBBYSIX HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT OUR NEW SITE INSTEAD, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SO MUCH AWESOME CONTENT THAT YOUR EYES WON'T KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FIRST: SOMETHINGYOUSAID.COM

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Getting To Know... Bianca Miles-Jordaan

When BobbySix.com went to Johannesburg earlier in the year for the Smirnoff Experience, the wonderful Bianca Miles-Jordaan was one of the hosts. As well as having an almost unparalleled joie-de-vivre and sunny disposition, it turns out that she is a talented soul too. Aside from working for MTV, she also owns a fashion label, Tee & Whiskey, which, along with her good buddy, sees her design all manner of women's clothes and accessories. In the latest of Bobby Six's Getting To Know... series, she talks about Tee & Whiskey, her work at MTV, her music tastes and her famous mum:
Tee and whiskey is a special project that developed organically one moonlit night in March 2007. It embodies all what we love about being African/female/fashion lovers/whiskey drinkers/lovers of Jozi's [Johannesburg's] urban renewal/illustration/streets at night/accessibility (I believe in massclusivity) and, most of all, just being able to love and create the things we cherish most when we can.

Johannesburg is female. I do believe it has a feminine personality to survive so much of a rich past. She is haunting, vibrant, embracing, emotional at times, beautiful, colourful, wise yet still so young. She really is a cool teen with really old sneakers that are slowly being renewed.

At MTV Networks Africa I am the Marketing and Events maiden for all the various shows that play across our channels that feed into millions of homes daily. I work with a team across the continent to make nice TV so that people can live and embrace the liveliness of music and entertainment as that's what connects us all globally.

I recently bought a pair of two-tone Melissa, Alexandre Herchcovitch brogues (made in Brazil). They smell like Strawberry cupcakes, yum. Also, I bought a lovely Country Road scarf for my boy, even though I know I'm going to rock it most, and a cute little palm-sized Allessi cheese-grater that makes me want to make gourmet sarmies non-stop.

My favourite artist at the moment is Chad Van Gaalan. He just made the sickest track called Bare Feet on Wet Griptape that makes me smile because I love his creative cartoon thinking and approach to life. He makes his own videos, doodles, writes, produces and is rather pretty on the eye too. Other than that I am consumed by the latest albums out from B.O.B; Robyn (Body Talk).

It might surprise people to learn that I am the daughter of an Apartheid Supermodel. In the early 80's there were five black females (they were called the Big Five) who modelled professionally. My mom was one of the five who got to travel the world and earn foreign currency, be the first black female to model a De Beers Model, rocked Dianna Ross's famous Gold Dress at an auction in Johannesburg; was the muse for many years to South African pioneer designer Peter Soldatos, work on the Anti-Fur campaign in New York and so on. All with two toddlers under her belt. Now that's where I get my determination from!

Visit the Tee & Whiskey blog and check out the Facebook page too.

No comments: