NOTE, BOBBYSIX HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT OUR NEW SITE INSTEAD, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SO MUCH AWESOME CONTENT THAT YOUR EYES WON'T KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FIRST: SOMETHINGYOUSAID.COM

Thursday, November 04, 2010

Getting To Know... Rose Wintergreen

Currently plqying some shows around Australia in support of her debut EP, Warm Chocolate Heart, Rose Wintergreen tells BobbySix.com a few things about herself:

I would describe my sound as acoustic/folk/pop with dollops of world music flavour. I’m told people will probably like it if they like these people: Suzanne Vega, Joanna Newsom, Everything But the Girl, New Buffalo, Catherine Feeny, Laura Marling and Sarah Blasko. But I’ve also got a friend who isn’t really into them, and is a metal-head, and he really likes it too. Who knows, maybe that’s just because he wants to keep me in his good books.

I take inspiration from things going terribly, things going well. I listen to people’s stories and write notes later on what they said. Always with their permission, of course, or at least in a way that they couldn’t ever be identified. I try to focus on the details and the things that are hard to understand (because they’re what I think about most). I keep lots of notes around the place. I also find listening to other music really inspiring, especially if it’s a live show. When I’m stuck I go out and take a notebook and pen with me, and try to write down everything that’s happening. Sometimes I take it for a hot date to the movies.

Music makes me feel less alone. Even the depressing stuff that might make me feel down – because if it speaks to me, obviously the writer of the song and I understand each other on some level.

If I could only listen to three albums for the rest of my life, they would be:

Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans
New Buffalo - The Last Beautiful Day
Lamb - What Sound

I wish I had written Tom’s Diner by Suzanne Vega.

Aside from music I try to save the world. I get frustrated with the logistics. So I eat too much of the things that aren’t good for me and I read stories about other people’s lives to escape. I fantasise about spending more time creating visual art. I savour my coffee. I look longingly at other people’s dogs (I want a dog but I’m not allowed one until I’m older). I fantasise about going overseas. I avoid the washing up.

You can catch Rose performing with Hannah Acfield and Sarah-Jane O'Hara at Sydney's Valve Bar with on 14th November. Details here.

No comments: