NOTE, BOBBYSIX HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT OUR NEW SITE INSTEAD, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SO MUCH AWESOME CONTENT THAT YOUR EYES WON'T KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FIRST: SOMETHINGYOUSAID.COM

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Getting To Know... Big Dumb Kid

Indie/electronica artist, Big Dumb Kid, is about to take residency at MUM at Sydney's World Bar, playing every Friday in April (except Good Friday). We find out more about him:

I would describe my music as a popular blend of electronic sounds with hip hop beats, which in this day and age is a pretty broad statement. Typically I enjoy using a vast library of different sounds and I don’t limit myself to the same instruments on each song. I like big synth sounds but I also love acoustic pianos. I like the delivery of Hip Hop lyrics but I love the storytelling in Folk music. Oh and I love acoustic snares with tonnes of reverb! My formula tends to be pretty consistent but my execution is always changing.

I'm inspired by good music, good people and good times. I know it sounds pretty cheesy to put it like that, but that’s what it comes down to. When I sit down to compose music, I fantasize an emotion or event and build a mood off that. And lyrically I just write about what I know and what I have experienced, from big nights out to playing video games.

I grew up in the Western suburbs of Sydney and was always in awe when I came to the City as a kid. So naturally I moved here and it’s not really like I imagined it to be. During the week there are swarms of people doing their own thing and having fun, there is always something interesting going on in Sydney. Although there is something about weekends that attracts this weird subculture of jerks who take far too much ecstasy and go out looking to fight people. This sometimes makes really cool venues uncomfortable to be in. I enjoy the Inner Western Suburbs, it’s sociable, it’s genuine and it’s home.

If I could only listen to three albums for the rest of my life, they would be:
Elliott Smith - Figure 8
Wu-tang Vs The Beatles - Enter the Magical Mystery Chambers
Casiotone for the Painfully Alone - Etiquette

It might surprise people to learn that I am six feet and six inches tall.

In five years time I plan on being seven feet tall… and rich.

Check out the track below, and find more of Big Dumb Kid's stuff on his Myspace page.



Interview by Rob Townsend.

No comments: