NOTE, BOBBYSIX HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT OUR NEW SITE INSTEAD, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SO MUCH AWESOME CONTENT THAT YOUR EYES WON'T KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FIRST: SOMETHINGYOUSAID.COM

Friday, October 28, 2011

Getting To Know... Heidi Pett


Heidi Pett is Bobbysix.com's new Deputy Editor. Considering how you've shown her reviews a whole lotta love already, we thought it only polite to introduce her properly. Here she is, in her own words:

Writing is...
something I do in my spare time, usually at around 3am when I should be doing writing of an entirely different kind. Hello, Development Studies essay looming up there in a tab I haven't opened for hours now.

I'd love to interview...
Dave Eggers and Jonathan Safran Foer, because they write beautifully and with such imagination. Marieke Hardy. She inspires me to live deliberately, and write about it. Also, made-up swears and calling Amanda Vanstone a cunt. Vikram Seth, because he’s a genius and despite its length, I’ve read A Suitable Boy more times than I care to divulge. Patience Hodgson. Gemma Connell, because she’s up there on this enormous pedestal in my life. Do you really want the whole list? I could prattle on about this for almost forever.

Aside from writing...
I spend vast tracts of time prancing around the internet getting inspired by what other people are creating, present Allnighters on FBi Radio, volunteer as the Venue Assistant at FBi Social and I’ve just started producing Arvos on FBi as well. I mess up my bedroom, read, make lists, dick around with my housemate, take road trips and study Arts/Law, something which I should probably devote more time to.

Sydney is...
cliquey. I moved here last year and came to the entirely valid conclusion that I’m socially retarded after I made a total of two friends at uni, both of whom moved back to Perth. However since I’ve started volunteering at FBi I’ve found this wonderful community of like-minded, creative people who are all doing and making interesting things. A heads up for Macquarie University students: can’t find anybody to hang out with that’s not a stick-in-the-mud accounting student? They hide all the creative types way over across campus in Y3A, something I’ve only discovered after I met these elusive types at the station, a place which has become a sort of surrogate uni for me in many ways. I grew up listening to my Dad's stories of university and my parents' lives in Sydney and couldn't wait to move down to the city to meet people who'd want to get drunk, make music and talk about books. It's just taken me a while to find them.

 

I take inspiration from...
a certain quality of light in the afternoons, trains, dumb conversations I have with my housemate, my travels and of course the writing of people I admire. Mostly though, a genre of music which my best friend and I have defined as ‘happysad’ - think Bon Iver, Band of Horses, Fleet Foxes, and Isbells - music that takes whatever mood you’re in and amplifies it, causes it to be beautiful. Makes you nostalgic for something that maybe never really was. It makes me spin circles in the street, laugh or cry for no particular reason and gives me not-quite-irresistible urges to jump on the first plane to anywhere, run away and become a poet. Or just to scribble down conversations, thoughts and images in a notebook that’s always in my bag, because sometimes that’s enough.

I am currently listening to...
This very second? Wishingbone by Winter People. Caitlin Park, Oliver Tank, Howling Bells, Husky, Patrick James, Isbells and The Josephine March also feature pretty heavily on Wattle - my Spring playlist.

It might surprise people to learn that...
At this point it would be normal for me to humble-brag and say “Oh, I’m into this really nerdy stuff and not actually as cool as you think I am,” but I’d say it’s fairly apparent from the moment you meet me that I’m a bonafide dork (Editor's note: this is an undeniably accurate self-assessment). I’m into politics, did debating and public speaking and played in the band all through high school, throw a Harry Potter party every year and take great pleasure in dancing around the kitchen to Billy Joel. I also have a Deathly Hallows tattoo. Oh, yeah.

Click out Heidi's own, beautiful, blog here. She tweets here.

Interview by Bobby Townsend

No comments: