NOTE, BOBBYSIX HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT OUR NEW SITE INSTEAD, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SO MUCH AWESOME CONTENT THAT YOUR EYES WON'T KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FIRST: SOMETHINGYOUSAID.COM

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Opossom interview...


Kody Nielson, scuzz-pop tearaway of The Mint Chicks, has gone in a completely new direction under the name Opossom. He is set to take his new album, Electric Hawaii, on tour with Jinja Safari and White Arrows. Carol Bowditch found out more: 

What prompted your decision to start making music on your own?
I've always made music on my own, but I guess it's just the first opportunity I've had
to actually release something of my own.

Are you enjoying the freedom of having sole creative control?
Yeah, I am. I get to take more risks, and try things out.

Can you talk us a little though the creative processes that went into writing and
recording Electric Hawaii? Did you do things very differently this time round?
The main difference was just not having to run ideas by anyone else. It made
everything a bit more experimental and playful.

What are you most looking forward to about your upcoming Australian tour and what should we expect from your live show?
It's always cool playing to new audiences and you should expect a three-piece psych band, playing melodic music with dynamics.

Tell us a little about the name Opossom...
I work at night so I feel nocturnal sometimes. I find it interesting that in New Zealand
people kill possums. They're considered pests here, and sometimes that's how the
country makes me feel. I decided to spell it Opossom, because I wanted to use a
word that didn't exist.

How was your tour with Bic Runga, and who - in an ideal world - would you
like to do a tour with in the future?
The tour was nice. I'd love to play with the Flaming Lips or Danny Brown.

Tell us something we night be surprised to learn about you...
I'm Batman.

THE BLIND DATE TOUR: Jinja Safari, Opossom, White Arrows
Wed 8 Aug: Perth – Astor Theatre - www.bocsticketing.com.au 
Thurs 9 Aug: Adelaide – Uni Bar (Licensed All Ages) - www.moshtix.com.au
Fri 10 Aug: Melbourne – The Hi-Fi - www.hifi.com.au - www.moshtix.com.au
Sat 11 Aug: Melbourne – The Hi-Fi (Under 18s) www.hifi.com.au 
Wed 15 Aug: Canberra – ANU Bar - www.ticketek.com.au
Thu 16 Aug: Newcastle – Bar On the Hill - www.bigtix.com.au
Fri 17 Aug: Sydney – Metro (Licensed All Ages) - www.metrotheatre.com.au 
Sat 18 Aug: Brisbane – The Hi-Fi - www.hifi.com.au

Interview by Carol Bowditch

No comments: