NOTE, BOBBYSIX HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT OUR NEW SITE INSTEAD, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SO MUCH AWESOME CONTENT THAT YOUR EYES WON'T KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FIRST: SOMETHINGYOUSAID.COM

Monday, March 16, 2009

A tribute to Andy Sibson

In my weekly newpaper column, I recently paid tribute to a former teacher of mine, who died earlier this year. I was out of the country when a tribute was held at my old school, but I was touched to discover the other day that my words were read out on the evening. Here is what I said, which made up part of a longer piece about Leicester City:...While we are on the subject of Leicester, I would just like to finish by giving a mention to Andy Sibson, a massive Leicester fan and deputy head-teacher of Cavendish School in Eastbourne, who passed away a couple of weeks ago after suffering a heart attack playing football. He taught me PE for five years and was one of the most positive, friendly and genuine people you could ever wish to meet. Whenever Leicester beat the Albion (which was pretty often in those days) he would send little mocking notes to me in the register, and such banter was one of the few enjoyable things about my school life. I know his death at just 51 years of age has deeply affected a lot of people, and Cavendish School and Sussex sport in general will be a sadder place without him. An all-round good bloke.

No comments: