NOTE, BOBBYSIX HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT OUR NEW SITE INSTEAD, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SO MUCH AWESOME CONTENT THAT YOUR EYES WON'T KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FIRST: SOMETHINGYOUSAID.COM

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Sydney to Eastbourne.


It was a long way.

Arriving at Sydney airport shortly after midday on Thursday, I eventually made it home in Eastbourne, England, at around 2pm on the Friday, without more than a couple of hours stuttered sleep in between. Twixt these two locations I stopped in Auckland and LA. Weirdly, having flown for at least 15 hours, I arrived in LA an hour before I departed Sydney. No wonder I am jet lagged. On the Auckland-LA leg, the turbulence was so bad that the seat belt sign stayed lit for the entire journey.

Auckland was fun. Everyone talked like Brett and Jermaine. Quaint. LA was not so fun. Even though the stop was only for a refuel, I had to go through immigration and passport control where stoney-faced uniformed drones took my fingerprints and scanned my eyes. Pointless and officious.

To fill the 30 hours flying time, I watched a lot of movies. I saw the heartbreaking, stunning The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas (8-year-old son of Nazi officer befriends Jewish boy in death camp), the impressive Doubt (Did the Priest touch the little boy?), Burn After Reading (beautiful, clever people playing ugly dumb people. How very Post Modern), the fun Twilight (Dracula meets Dawson's Creek), W (it was good but I dozed off through too much red wine), Rachel Getting Married (I hated every character so only made it to the 30 minute mark) and The Day The Earth Stood Still (so, so dumb. Keanu Reeves as a higher being? Come on).

And so, I am back in Eastbourne. Tired. Bobbysix will continue to be updated with new good stuff while I am in England. So keep them peeled.

No comments: