NOTE, BOBBYSIX HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT OUR NEW SITE INSTEAD, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SO MUCH AWESOME CONTENT THAT YOUR EYES WON'T KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FIRST: SOMETHINGYOUSAID.COM

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Getting To Know... Billy & the Fingers

In the latest in the Getting To Know... series, Neil Martin from Billy & The Fingers talks to BobbySix.com about how he loves making music with mates, even if those pesky second verses do prove to be elusive:


I would describe Billy & The Fingers' sounds as
borrowed chord progressions, stolen words and half remembered melodies. The sound of Friday night if your Friday night consists of sitting round my flat drinking and recording hastily written songs.

I take inspiration from Brian Eno’s first 3 solo albums, Robert Pollard’s approach to recording and releasing music, Phil Spector’s Wall Of Sound, Neil Young’s vocal on Mellow My Mind and the Louvin Brothers' vocal harmonies.

Music makes me selfish. It takes me out of the stresses of the week and places me entirely in the moment. Creating music with friends is the single greatest thing you can do. Music is not a career for Billy & The Fingers (some of you will not be surprised at this), it is a release. There is no gameplan and no mission statement. This is for us.

If I could only listen to three albums for the rest of my life, they would be:

Brian Eno – Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy
Neutral Milk Hotel – In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
Gene Clark - No Other

There is not really much I can add about them that hasn’t been written elsewhere far more eloquently than I can manage other than all three albums continue to astound me on every listen.

I wish I had written lots of things but then if I had written them then they would probably lose that magic. The songs of John Darnielle make me absolutely sick with envy and are probably responsible for me not writing more. Karl writes most of the words for Billy & The Fingers songs and I tend to add bits and pieces to finish them off or make them fit with the vocal melody. Occasionally I will write a whole song but I am incredibly self critical of my own words and have a million killer first verses lying around that I couldn’t find good enough second verses for.

Aside from music there is: Badlands, A Room For Romeo Brass, Harold & Maude, The Straight Story, Buffalo 66, All The Real Girls. There is also: Geek Love by Katherine Dunne, And The Ass Saw The Angel by Nick Cave, James Ellroy, David Peace, Flannery O’Connor.

And on top of these wonderful things there are innumerable other things that need to be done and as a prolific procrastinator with attention issues most of them aren’t done as well (or perhaps as regularly) as they could be.

Be sure to check out Billy & The Fingers on their Myspace page.

No comments: